Impact App Challenge
The 2023 program is now closed.
The Impact APP Challenge is an entrepreneurship program empowering High School students to come up with and launch the next great social or environmental APP and gain critical skills they will need to be the future changemakers.
1. Student-Owned Innovation:
The winning team will have the chance to see their APP live on the App Store, owned 100% by the students.
2. Product Development Funding:
Branson will cover up to $25,000 in product development and engineering costs, providing the necessary resources to bring your idea to life.
3. Valuable Internship Opportunity:
The winning team will embark on seven month internship, collaborating with the Impactree Foundation’s team of experienced tech leaders. This internship experience will be an invaluable addition to your resumes.
4. No Programming Required:
Students only need to bring forward their exceptional idea and a commitment to work 2-3 hours per student per week turning their idea into a reality.
Students: Alexander LaMonica & Sabine Fuchs
It is universally acknowledged that empathetic peer support is invaluable to our emotional well-being. Alexander is a 16-year-old survivor of stage IV cancer. Alexander and thousands of others across the country have spent weeks in hospital beds, away from friends, getting toxic chemicals pumped through their…
Students: Mckenzie Kwei & Ally Hsieh
Many people in high school suffer from the problems of feeling worried, alone, or sad, while other times, many people’s lives are so busy they forget to appreciate the things in life that make them happy. Sometimes when we have so much going through our lives, we don’t have time to reflect on the things that are making us happy or upset, and we can get caught in the whirl of life without being in touch with our feelings–often leading to…
Students: Aimee Yang & Justin Slayen
We have seen firsthand the suffering from poverty and homelessness, and the worry one feels when they are not able to purchase clothing for their family. The lack of clean and sufficient clothing for underserved families is a large problem in the Bay Area and nationwide. Children are more likely to miss school when they don’t have proper clothing that is comfortable and fits, and when they do attend, they witness bullying and a decline in their self-esteem…
We want to encourage, inspire and empower our students to become the innovative leaders we need to address our biggest environmental and social challenges.
In order for winning students and their App to be selected, the following criteria must be met.
1. The App must pursue the greater good: It must nurture inclusivity, justice, sustainability and/or compassion. The App can make money and be a for-profit venture or a non-profit and just serve the greater good.
2. The idea must address an environmental or social problem/challenge a large number of people experience.
3. The problem must theoretically be solvable with an APP. (The are no guarantees in technology, but you miss every shot you don’t take.)
4. The winning idea must have 2-4 students involved. The students must all be teenagers and at least one must be from a participating school.
5. The winning students commit to a 7-month remote internship with Impactree Foundation and expect to spend about 2-3 hours per week working on the project, progressing from initial ideation through to launch and user feedback.
Phtos By: Afif Ramdhasuma, Tim Mossholder, William Hook.